Sunday 30 June 2013

Natalie & Amy's 'Trash To Treasure' Challenge

Good evening all. I hope you have all had a lovely weekend, the weather has certainly been kind to us all here in the UK.

Today being the 30th of the month means it is time for a new challenge at Natalie & Amy's so this should have been up this morning, I had it in my head the challenge started on the 1st oops sorry ladies. 

This month Wendy chose the challenge of 'Trash To Treasure', well I already struggle with this type of challenge but then having taken nearly two days to complete a project my lovely grandson came along and spilt a glass of coke all over it whilst it was drying grrr (You got to love them haven't you lol). I would have posted the picture had it not of turned to a pile of mush, so here is my very quick version of the first coaster I made.

I have had these coasters which came free in the post from the British Red Cross for ages and they were just sat in my box waiting for someone to either need them or the kids to play with them. Sophie my 6 year old step grandaughter loves everything pink, purple and girlie including fairies so this was made for her. I had made the whole family coasters from tiles and decorated with their names using vinyl awhile ago and Sohpie said she needed another one for her bedroom for when she was ill and mummy let her have a drink on the bedside table. As her bedroom is also pinks and purples that is what I went with.

I firstly removed the gloss layer from both sides of the coaster and that left a kraft coloured type layer to work with. I firstly distressed it with Tim Holtz 'Broken China' ink, then I ran some Core'dinations Core Essentials purple card stock through my grand calibur with a Crafts Too 'Hearts' embossing folder before sanding it back to reveal the lilac hearts and attached this with the Stix 2 Hot Glue Gun and Hot Melt Glue Sticks. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the name using the 'Cool Dots' font on Core'dinations Bling type card stock. For the other side I used some Dovecraft 'Back To Basics II' paper cut to shape and distressed. I did have a little fairy image on this side of the first one and an oddment of trim but hey ho that is how it goes.
All items are available from Natalie & Amy except the coaster.

This is before

This is side 1

This is side 2
Supplies:-
Coaster - British Red Cross freebie
Embossing - Crafts Too 'Hearts'

If I get around to adding an image and extra's to this I will update it tomorrow. 

Just to show you, here is the little monster that caused all the trouble having just fed himself for the first time lol.
He is still gorgeous in his nanny's eyes!!

Have a lovely week.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Love what you have done to the coast and the personalisation is fab and how I remember those days - food everywhere LOL. Hugs, Claire x

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Fab creation hun, bet Sophie loves it!
What a sweetie, he looks like he is full of mischief!
Hugs Shell xx

Sue B said...

You've done a fab job with the Coaster Kim - it looks gorgeous!!
Sorry about the mishap with the Coke.... but Ooh how could you be angry with that angelic face!!! he's adorable!!
Hope you have a good week hun!
Big hugs
Sue xx

Sheryl said...

Great idea this Kim. I love it!
It's usually cats in our house that destroy projects! Your little man is gorgeous - no wonder you couldn't be cross! Hugs Sheryl xx