Tuesday 24 November 2009

Jake's Birthday Card & Broken Arm...

Evening all, I just wanted to do two quick things this evening 1. post this card I made for my youngest son Jake's birthday yesterday and 2. update you all on the broken arm as I have had several emails about it.
For the card I decided that as his only two passions in life are the army and rugby I would make him a rugby related card as he had an army one last year but that was actually harder than I first thought because I was thinking a rugby ball easy it's oval oh no it's not it tapers off at the edges and trying to get that just so was no picnic. Here is the result...

As for the arm well the cast came off last Thursday and yes it really is 'deformed' as the doctor called it. After having the cast removed we waited to see the doctor only for it to be a different doctor and him to have a 2 second glance at it and so OK off you go. Well my husband, myself and Jake were all in shock, Jake was their with his bag packed to stay in and have it redone as the original doctor had agreed and this doctor said oh no we can't correct it now it's too late. After several minutes of raised voices the doctor called for the original doctor who although agreed that that was what he had said was not prepared to operate and told us to bring him back in 3 YEARS once he has stopped growing. Now maybe that would be OK for many people (well I guess only a very few lol) but when you have a child that wants to go away to army college at 16 that is a big problem as they will not accept them if they have ANY underlying medical problems. The doctor has now agreed to operate in 6 months once Jake has built the muscle back up and he can evalute how much or how little use he has of it, at the moment the wrist does not move backwards and only moves slightly forwards which is a big problem when it's your writing hand. I have told Jake that if after a month or so of exercise he still cannot move it I will be calling the hospital and asking for an earlier appointment as I will not have him left as I was until it really was too late to do any good. 

3 comments:

Karen Tallon said...

Wow Kim the card is gorgeous!! You did excellent with such an unusual shape! I'm glad Jake was so happy with it! Big hugs to you all for going through all that with the stupid doctors at the hospital. I really hope you can get it sorted out sooner rather than later.
Love to you all xxx

Lisa said...

Hi Kim, Great card! You have achieved a perfect rugby ball shape. I bet Jake loved it.

Sorry to hear the problems you are having with Jake's arm. If it isn't improving within a month I would definitely make an earlier appt.

Lisa x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I was looking online for a rugby ball shape I could do for my G nephew and came across this on Google.

Love how you have done this and the laces a fab card.